I can’t contain my excitement! I am so very honored to say that I was nominated for a Leibster Award! Even more amazing, I received 8 nominations! Wow. I can’t even begin to say how thankful I am!
I feel horrible that it has taken me so long to respond to all the great questions that I have received. It’s been a busy week and I wanted to be sure that I answered the questions as best as I could! You are probably going to be sick of me by the end of this post, but I hope you’ll enjoy some of my answers. I tried my best to include pictures and videos when applicable. I’ve sure done a lot of self-reflection due to this epic post!
Liebster Award Rules:
1.You must link back to the person who nominated you.
2.Answer the 10 questions that the nominator gives you.
3.Nominated 10 bloggers that have less then 200 followers.
4.Create 10 questions for your nominees to answer.
5.Let the nominees know by going to their blog and notifying them.
I apologize for the extreme length of this post! Once I start writing, it’s hard for me to stop…
Without further delay, here are my answers!
1. What is your favorite movie? – from any country
I’m going to have to say the Korean movie Sunny. It’s such a wonderful film and I could watch it hundreds of times and never get sick of it.
2. What is the most wonderful thing that happened in your life.
Gah- how sentimental should I get? I’m so glad to have discovered my interest in Asian languages and cultures. Being able to travel and study in China and Taiwan some of the best opportunities I could have hoped for! My life has certainly become more interesting since I developed this passion!
3. What are you doing right now other than answering this question.
Eating a bowl of cereal and listening to Rain’s La Song. It’s a good morning.
4. If you were given USD 10,000 what will you do with that money? Please don’t save it.
I would use it to take a trip to Taiwan. I’m dying to go back! Leftover money would be spent on K-pop CDs and K-pop concert tickets. I have my priorities straight 🙂
5. Android or iPhone?
I actually have both. Android for my personal phone and iPhone for work. Don’t make me pick which one I like more!
6. Do you have someone you want to punch at this current moment?
Not really. I’m not much of “punch-inclined” kind of person. Ok, Maybe Min Joon from Man from the Stars- he needs to stop pushing Song Yi away!
7. Express yourself in 3 words
Passionate, inquisitive, skillful
8. Express your k-drama crush in 3 words.
Local. Sushi. Restaurant. (Backstory: there is a Japanese restaurant near my house and a waiter there looks IDENTICAL to the waffle guy in Coffee Prince. My love for Kim Jae Wook has been rekindled!)
9. What is your favorite Korean phrases?
I love all the catch phrases that come out of dramas- the current one that comes to mind is “Get Lost” from Master’s Sun.
10. Coffee or tea or milk?
All three are wonderful and depend on my mood. A perfect day goes as follows: I’ll brew a nice cup of black tea in the morning, have a latte in the afternoon, and a drink milk at dinner.
1. What is your motivation to continue blogging?
Comments, likes, and views certainly help create inspiration! That being said, what I really, really love is the feeling of writing a post that you are super EXCITED to publish. It’s such a rush when I find a topic that I can’t wait to dive into and share my thoughts with the world. Knowing that others read and (could) appreciate my post makes it so much more satisfying!
2. What is your favorite blog post, one that you have written?
Ah! Don’t make me choose 😛 How about Top 3? Top Countries to Experience K-pop (Outside of Korea), My Response to the Sunbae Effect- Taiwan Edition, and any Korean Celebrity Inspired Want article.
3. How do you spend a typical weekend?
The first priority of a weekend is catching up on sleep. I need to recharge to get ready for the week! I’ll usually watch dramas, go the gym, spend an afternoon at Starbucks blogging and then get dinner or see a movie with friends. The more low-key the better!
4. What has been your biggest blogging challenge so far?
Finding a posting schedule that works for me has been tough, especially since when I started this blog in October, I was still looking for a job. I had a month where I could post almost every day, but then I got a full time job. It was quite the transition for me since I still wanted to post all the time, but sadly it wasn’t feasible anymore. I also have to be sure that I enjoy what I’m posting about. I don’t want to post just to post something and I’ve had to learn how to better pace myself!
5. What is that moment in your life that you regret the most?
I’m going to keep this simple and say I regret not learning how to drive a scooter when I lived in Taiwan.
6. What are your favorite and least favorite drama clichés?
Favorite: accidental kiss, drunken piggyback ride
Least Favorite: evil mother, bitch-like second lead
7. Do you post under your real name? Why or why not?
I use my real first name Rachel because that’s how I identify myself and I don’t think I should change that when I blog. My blog’s title itself actually stands for my initials RAR and then Asian-Pop- hence RARA-POP.
8. Who is your ultimate bias?
It really depends on the day. I’m not one to pick sides, but if we’re going on looks alone I’m going with T.O.P!
9. Are you a coffee or a tea addict?
Both. I currently drink more tea, but I do love a good cup of coffee. Non-fat lattes are my favorite!
10. What is your idea of a perfect drama?
A perfect drama will keep me enthralled from start to finish. There needs to be wonderful chemistry between the leads and I also want to be kept laughing.
1. What is your all-time favorite drama and why?
Can I pick two? Coffee Prince and Secret Garden are always at the top of my list. I love the chemistry and both stories just suck me in. I can watch these shows over and over again!
2. What is your least favorite drama and why?
Faith. I only watched the first two episodes, but I was so disappointed in the entire thing. Even my excitement of seeing Lee Minho couldn’t overrule how much I disliked the show.
3. Would you rather be able to see dead people, or hear what everyone is saying ALL THE TIME?
I’ll go with seeing ghosts. I think I’d be able to ignore seeing the dead people. Hearing everything ALL THE TIME would get super exhausting!
4. What are your thoughts on the age old arm grab in dramas? Romantic or obnoxious?
It depends on how it’s delivered. I don’t really have a problem with it.
5. Who is your favorite second male lead of all time?
If we are going to rate this by how sad I felt that the second male lead didn’t get the girl, I’ll say Young Do from Heirs. Kim Woo Bin did such a great job!
6. Which villain did you most want to smack with a cricket bat?
Since I’m currently watching Man from the Stars, I’m going to go with the evil CEO Jae Kyung. Then again, smacking him would probably result in my own death, so I should probably just stay far, far away from him.
7. Would you rather love someone from another time who you know will have to leave you forever, or be in a less-passionate relationship with someone who can be with you for the rest of your life?
Ah so tough! I’m really someone who values stability so I think I’ll choose the life-long relationship.
8. Name every drama you can think of in which a piece of jewelry became important.
The entire Boys Over Flowers franchise and Master’s Sun. Does the hair clip from You’re Beautiful count? I know there are tons more, but I’m really bad that these lists!
9. Name every drama you can think of in which someone ended up with a band-aid.
Heirs when Eun Sang gives Young Do a band-aid. What about bandages? Then basically every drama ever could be listed since there is ALWAYS a hospital scene. ALWAYS.
10. If you could bring one drama character to life, who would it be and why?
I think the world would be a better place if Min Joon from Man from the Stars was a real alien living on Earth. He may even be able to save my life at some point!
1. What’s your favorite thing to eat while you’re watching a movie?
Snow Caps. I’m not too big on buttered popcorn. My sweet tooth always wins!
2. One thing you’ll never try? Not even once (besides meth).
Sky diving. I. Hate. Heights. I think I would probably pass out as soon as I jumped and then just fall to my death. Thanks, but no thanks.
3. What actor/actress do you think looks like you?
Jennifer Garner. We both have long brown hair and long-ish faces.
4. Who’s your favorite person in the world?
My dad is awesome. Also, if you’re looking for celebrity look-a-likes, he looks exactly like Saurmon from Lord of the Rings!
5. What’s the most disgusting thing ever?
One time, I witnessed a man sneeze and then proceed to nonchalantly lick up all of the snot under his nose. I know there are much, much more disgusting things out there, but that was pretty horrifying to witness.
6. What’s your favorite color-palette?
I’m a big fan of different shades of blue.
7. What’s your idea of a perfect day?
Absolutely perfect day? I’d probably say a day where I got to take front-row pictures of my favorite Korean celebrities at a K-pop concert. If we’re really dreaming, then I’ll get the chance to meet them and they’ll compliment my pictures. I’ve done it before and now I want to do it for all eternity!
8. What’s your favorite weekday?
If you’re not counting weekends, then Friday would have to be my favorite day. I can finally catch up on sleep after work!
9. Are you happy (now)?
Yep, it’s Sunday! I get to relax at home, writing blog posts and watching Korean dramas. Life is good!
10. Do aliens exist?
I’m going to go with maybe, but I think it’s best if I don’t really think about it. The whole uncertainty of the matter is overwhelming!
1. If you can be a female drama lead in any drama, who would it be?
Hmmm the more I think about it, female drama leads live pretty tough lives. At least they usually get a very handsome man in the end! I think I would like to be the lead in Personal Taste. I loved the house and I would get to be Lee Minho’s roommate/eventual girlfriend. That would be great! And I certainly wouldn’t mind being on the receiving end of the infamous “Game Over” kiss.
2. What would you do if a banana you are about to eat comes to life and begs you for his/her life?
I would probably scream and instantly call someone over to prove that I’m not actually crazy.
3.What is your all time favorite song to sing at the karaoke?
This is a tough one! I really, really love singing karaoke, but it has to be the Asian style where you get your own room to sing with your friends. I’ve had many a great night in Taiwan belting out Chinese lyrics.
Here are my Top 3 Chinese Karaoke Songs
1. Favorite Emotional Ballad to Belt Out- Tong Hua by Guang Liang (English Translation: Fairy Tale)
2. Favorite Song to Sing With Both All Types of Friends. GYM by 自由發揮
If you don’t speak Chinese, you can at least dance along!
3. Favorite Final Song to Sing with Chinese Friends- Pengyou by Zhou Huajian (English Translation:Friend)
Seriously though, if you guys haven’t done Asian karaoke, you need to experience it!
4. What subject are you majoring in and do you know what you want to be in the future/what is your occupation?
I majored in International Relations and Economics in college. My goal was to work in international business and I am on my way to achieving this! The company I work with has to do with the supply chain of products from places all over the world. I’m currently working on the domestic, American side, but my goal is to be working in Asia in the future!
5. If the world ends in a week, would you still watch dramas for the remaining time or would you think that it’s a waste of time?
It depends if I was in the middle of finishing an AMAZING drama. For instance, if all the episodes of Man from the Stars were out, I would probably have to finish it before the world could end! Otherwise, my focus would be on sending time with family and friends, and eating all my favorite foods!
6. Do you believe in supernatural beings such as ghost, gumiho, aliens, etc.?
Eh, not really. More like, I don’t care enough to worry about their existence!
7. What influences your choice in picking a drama to watch?
The story needs to have something interesting that catches my interest. The actors and actresses that headline the show also play a large factor! I’m not a huge fan of historical dramas or melodramas, so there needs to be something really special in the synopsis to get me to tune in. If I think I show is just going to make me cry and hate life, I probably won’t watch it.
8. What is the earliest memory you can remember?
I think playing with my dog in the backyard is my earliest memory. Can’t be too sure though!
9. What food out of any dramas you’ve watch do you want to try?
Watching dramas has really expanded my palette for Asian food! I took a trip to Korea last year and I about died and went to heaven getting to try all the foods I had been wanting to try to so long! I think the most satisfying food I tried was tteokbokki. It was even better than my drama expectations led me to believe!
10.What would you do if you have amnesia? (kinda like making up your own story involving amnesia)
I would probably try and find out everything about myself so I could try to get back to normal ASAP. Luckily I don’t live in a drama, so the chance of amnesia is much lower!
1. What was your first drama you watched?
Hana Kimi, the Japanese version. I had read the manga and this show happened to start airing while I was spending a month in Japan. I caught the first episode live on TV and thus my addiction began! Hana Yori Dango came soon after.
2. If you could have your dream job, what would it be?
Realistic dream job: Working in Asia, preferably in Taiwan, doing some sort of international business. I want to travel!
My actual dream job: K-pop concert photographer!
3. If you could travel anywhere in the world where would you go?
Not to repeat myself, but I would go back to Taiwan in a heartbeat. I have so many great friends there and I can’t wait until I can go back to visit.
4. If you were stuck on a deserted island what would you bring?
A satellite phone to call for help!
5. Who was your first K-Pop group you listened too?
I’m pretty certain it was DBSK with their song Wrong Number. 2pm and 2am were also some of the first K-pop groups I listened to. I started with J-pop so my memory is a bit fuzzy when it comes to how my K-pop love began.
6. Most listened to song on you computer/phone/mp3?
To Be Free by Arashi- Some of my J-pop love still holds strong!
7. What is your favorite movie?
As I mentioned above, I adore the Korean movie Sunny! If you haven’t seen it, it’s on both Netflix and Hulu. Be sure to watch! It’s great movie for people who don’t watch Korean dramas. I have since gotten my immediate family and friends to fall in love with just as I have!
8. Who is your favorite K-Drama character of all time?
Domyoji from Hana Yori Dango! He’s the kind of character that will forever live in my heart.
9. What is your favorite blog post you have written?
Any of my Korean Celebrity Inspired Want articles. Snapbacks, Nail Art, Couples Shirts- I love them all!
10. Who is your number one bias!?
I know I said T.O.P above, but now that I’m talking so much about Japanese stuff in these questions, I’m going to have to give a shout-out to Jun Matsumoto!
1. What got you so interested in Asian culture?
The simple answer would be that my younger sister is adopted from China. The longer answer is that my older sister really liked manga and anime so I started watching and reading with her. Once I found out about drama adaptions of manga, I had no other choice but to become addicted! I also love different cultures and languages and learning Chinese has been a wonderful challenge!
2. Do you tend to express your love for Asian culture outside of the blogging world (with friends, family, work or school?)
I’ve been trying to convert my friends and family to dramas for years. Luckily most are good sports and understand and humor me in my addiction. I have one close friend who used to watch a lot of dramas in the past and we can still fangirl quit a bit over Jun Matsumoto and Lee Minho! My biggest success has been my mother. She is head-over-heels ADDICTED. At this point I think she has watched even more dramas than I have! It’s wonderful to be able to chat with her about the latest drama news and episodes. It’s definitely brought us closer together!
I also love going to Asian restaurants and partaking in different culture events in the area. Just last week I went to a Korean concert in Chicago with Jung Dong Ha, Wax, and Park Wan Kyu. My friend and I may have been the only non-Asians there, but it was great!
3. If you were able to become fluent in only one language overnight, which would it be and what would you do with such skills?
Korean for sure. I would use it to get a job working in Korea, preferably working on promoting Korean celebrities around the world. I wish!
4. Have you got another hobby apart from blogging? If so, what is it and how often do you do it?
I still study Chinese with weekly tutoring sessions and I also love photography. I used to ice skate, but I haven’t done it in a few years. I keep telling myself I’ll pick it up again soon, but alas hasn’t happened yet.
5. If you were only one of the last two survivors of a zombie apocalypse (cliqued, I know lol), who would your other survivor buddy be?(could be celebrity, family, even your pet ><)
I’m going to pick Taecyeon from 2pm. He’s beautiful and speaks English so we can actually communicate! Also, from what I’ve seen in We Got Married he can cook and his snarky comments will keep me entertained.
6. Which is your all-time favorite variety show?
We Got Married Global Edition. I really, really hope season two will be spectacular!
7. What is one food you wish to try out?
I want to try real home-cooked Korean food. I’ve been to many a Korean restaurant, but I’d love to sit down to a normal meal at a Korean household!
8. What is your ultimate guilty pleasure?
Eating my favorite bar of dark chocolate while marathoning a drama. Chocolate and chocolate abs just go so well together!
9. Who or what is your ideal male/female?
Someone who is caring, driven, and can understand my love for all things Asian!
10. One piece of advice for those who are currently blogging/wanting to start a blog
Be sure to pick a topic that you love to talk about! Blogging takes a ton of work and you really need to enjoy doing it. Also, pace yourself and be sure you are writing because you want to, not because you feel obligated! It will make the whole experience much more rewarding.
1. Why did you start blogging ?
My love for Asian entertainment was reaching record highs this past summer and I had no outlet to express my thoughts! I had been wanting to blog for a long time, but withdrawal from not living in Taiwan pushed me over the edge and I decided it was the time to blog. I also have tons of K-pop concert pictures and I wanted an outlet to share them!
2. What do you think is the most challenging about blogging?
The time commitment can be rough. It’s not an easy hobby to have and sometimes it can seem thankless when comments and likes are scarce.
3. Your all time favorite korean drama?
Easily Coffee Prince and Secret Garden are Top 2. Man from the Stars might be in the running to round out my Top 3, but I’m reserving judgement on how the last few episodes turn out!
4. Where do you get your kpop-related news from?
Soompi! They are the best, and I’m not just saying that because I write for them sometimes… (Check out my recaps here 🙂)
5. The kpop song that you’re never sick of?
6. Your ultimate favorite group?
Big Bang. There’s just so much to love!
7. How much time do you spend blogging?
Probably more than I should mention… I satisfying post will usually take me a 4+ hours. My recaps for Soompi take even longer- the pressure of so many people reading my work makes me strive for perfection! I’ve never been the fastest worker.
8. How/When did you first learn about kpop?
K-pop was a gradual love for me. 2pm, 2am, and Wonderful Girls really started it for me and over the years it’s been a snow ball effect. I’m not super picky and can pretty much convince myself to like many, many different things.
9. Your first impression of kpop?
What is this super-catchy, colorful goodness?!
10. Your favorite kpop-related blog topics?
Once again, I LOVE writing about my new-found wants from Korean entertainment. Reading wise, I tend to seek out posts about dramas that I’m watching to hear other people’s opinions. So much fun!
My Liebster Award Nominees:
1. What are three things you want to happen in 2014?
2. Why do you like to blog?
3. What ending of a drama would you change and how so?
4. What do you think is the most under-rated drama that you’ve watched?
5. If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go and what would you do there?
6. What is the most listened song on your computer?
7. How often do you try and post on your blog?
8. If you could pick one concert to attend, what would it be and why?
9. What got you interested in Asian entertainment?
10. What is your favorite drama couple?
I look forward to reading your responses!
Thanks for reading this monster post! I hope the pictures helped and that you aren’t sick of me and my writing! The Liebster Award really is a wonderful way for the blogging community to offer support and recognition to fellow bloggers. I’m so honored to be included in this awesome community!
Categories: Random Thoughts