I love the anticipation that comes with a new K-pop comeback. It’s like a mini Christmas! You find out long in advance that something new is on the horizon, and you then you wait, and wait, and wait for your favorite artists to finally reach their comeback date. The countdown gives you something great to look forward to. I also love how relative to Western artists, K-pop comebacks happen pretty frequently, sometimes more than once in a year. So much excitement!
It’s been a good week for comebacks.
Two of my favorite artists, Taeyang and Miss A, released new singles. I love them both. Here are my reviews:
Taeyang- Ringa Linga
While the official video doesn’t come out until tomorrow, YG treated us all to this dance version of Taeyang’s new single today. I was instantly won over. Taeyang is such a powerful artist and I love the vibe of this song. His dancing is spot on (like always) and the flow of the song is great. I can’t stop listening.
- Anyone else think of EXO’s Growl in how the video was shot? That was my immediate association.
- I love the use of piano during the intro. Reminded me a lot of Wedding Dress!
- Impressive chorus. This is going to be stuck in my head for a long time.
What’s with your hair…? I really love you, but you could really make some better hair choices. While this style is marginally better than your previous cornrow look, I’m still not satisfied. I get it. You are going for the cool, bad-boy image. Please remember, the best you’ve ever looked was with your fauxhawk in Wedding Dress. Perhaps one day soon you can go back to this look?
Don’t worry, I still love you.
In conclusion: Great rhythm. Great dancing. Great vibe. Great job Taeyang!
Also, this is perhaps the best promotional video I’ve ever seen! Big Bang is the best.
Miss A- Hush
Miss A holds a very special place in my heart. They were the first Korean band that I feel head-over-heels in love with.
Speaking as a bit of a Miss A connoisseur, I really enjoy this song and video. I think that the song fits the style of the four ladies very well and they pull off the sexy/mysterious feel of the song just right.
The reviews I’ve been reading have been quite mixed. It seems that people either love it or they hate it. I’m more strongly in the “love-it” camp.
- Very strong chorus. It was catchy enough to play in my head all night while I was trying to sleep yesterday.
- Intriguing ebb and flow. I think that the quiet parts build up well toward the more alluring chorus. With a title like Hush, it makes sense that the song has it’s fair share of muted parts.
- Excellent choreography. Their bar dance is particularly unique and exciting. Also, anyone else admire their many excellent hair flips?!
- Equal distribution of members. One thing I really like about Miss A is that it’s easy to tell the 4 members apart because they each bring something different to the group. This video did a great job showcasing each member. I especially loved how each person had their own “location”. When showing a particular set, they would focus in on whoever belonged there, even if the other 3 members were also dancing alongside.
- Great cinematography. I loved the darker color scheme and dramatic clothing/makeup on the ladies. The sets were also very unique, giving the video a dystopian, post-apocalyptic feel.
- Wonderful editing. I think my favorite part is the ending where each members’ face fades perfectly into the next one. Such a cool effect! The editing was spot on throughout. While there were often quick flashes between the sets, the choreography remained seamless.
In conclusion: Catchy chorus. Alluring dance. Cool sets. Fantastic editing. I’m very pleased with this Miss A comeback song!
On a side note, notice how the JYP whisper was not at the beginning of Hush? It’s because JYP did not write the song! It appears that he only puts the trademark whisper on his own stuff. This is also the case for Miss A’s song Breathe. I wonder if/when the whisper will be back for Miss A. I really like this new song, so I’m not complaining with JYP switching up the writers every once in a while.
What do you think about the new songs? Love them? Hate them? Let me know what you think!